Noushabad is a historic city located in 7 Km from Kashan and 3 Km from Aran and Bidgol. The city has more than 30 registered works. The land that was built in the basement 1400 years ago. It is famous to underground city of Noushabad that in local language it’s called “Ouyi”. It has 3 floors and an area of 4 sq. km. The depth of its floors is 4 , 14 , 20 meters. It has an advanced air-conditioning system The Underground city shows people who have thought of defending and maintaining life they have designed the necessary forecasts and facilities for it .
Ouyi underground city was only discovered 15 years ago in 2004. Archeologists believe the subterranean structure city dates back 1500 years to the pre-Islamic Sassanid era.
Historical evidence indicates that Noushabad was mainly used as a shelter by people during the Mongol invasion in Iran in the 13th century. It remained in use in emergency cases until late Qajar dynastic period.
The city was constructed to allow a large number of people, perhaps the entire town, to hide from enemy forces over a sustained period of time. People could live in the underground passages and room for several days without the need of going outside.
In order to reach the underground city, there were several different openings. Some of these openings were located inside the houses of people while others were located in important gathering places such as the main fort just outside the city. Except for the main entrance, all the other parts of the city were about 170-180 centimeters in height.
Another interesting feature of their architecture was the curvy passages that made it possible for the inhabitants to ambush enemies. They would dig deep holes in the middle of the rooms and cover them so if anyone stepped on them, would fall. It was one of the several tricks used to resist enemies and protect people in the underground city. Man-holes, optical illusions, obstacles, forked paths were all strategically worked into the city’s design to trap and trick intruders.
A lot of thought appears to have gone into the design to make it inhabitable. Aside from ventilation, there are small grooves in the walls for fat burning lamps used for lighting; there are latrines on each floor with wastewater channels running underneath; there are wells with fresh water and kitchen areas, storage spaces and bedrooms are easily accessible.
Today two entrances have been created at the bottom of a 16-18th Century Safavid water reservoir allowing visitors to reach the underground city.